New Proposals For 2 Trafalgar Way
Now, urbanest is bringing forward proposals for new, much-needed student accommodation at 2 Trafalgar Way, in Tower Hamlets, as part of a mixed-use development.
2 Trafalgar Way is an important site on the edge of Canary Wharf, located directly to the east of the historic Billingsgate market.
It has been vacant and neglected for a number of years and our proposals could potentially support the growth of one of London’s most prestigious universities and the expansion of UCL’s School of Management in Canary Wharf and the new campus UCL East in Stratford.
We believe 2 Trafalgar Way is in an ideal site for student accommodation and that it can deliver real economic and social benefits for the local community, as well as the wider Tower Hamlets area.
We have now submitted a planning application to the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, which would deliver:
- A mixed-use campus, with three buildings and a sky bridge linking the student accommodation;
- 1,672 purpose-built, high quality rooms for students –with 35% meeting the GLA’s affordable housing definition;
- 68 homes, which could be used by academic and professional staff, with a mix of 2, 3 and 4 bedroom apartments;
- New flexible work and incubator space, communal areas for students, children’s soft play space, a cycle workshop and café and the re-provision of a McDonald’s Drive-Thru restaurant;
- A completely transformed and landscaped Trafalgar Way.
- An estimated £23 million CIL contribution, c.£18 million of which will go directly to the London Borough of Tower Hamlets;
- An estimated £10.5m spent in the borough by the students, residents and staff each year.